Monday, February 4, 2008

assignment 1

find seven items you would most want to take if you were travelling 40 days into a desert. find a piece of Lenten fabric; a cloth that you feel best captures how you feel about entering Lent. find a place in your house that these seven items might remain over the Lenten period and place them on your Lenten Fabric. send a photo of your items to us at spirit2go at gmail dot com and we will add it to the photodisplay.

Contributors:














Fabric - I choose a place mat made from linen. This captures my feeling of going into this journey to Lent with no preconceived ideas or agenda (i.e. the linen has not be altered by being dyed) so I am open to what Jesus has to say to me. I also regard the mat as a symbol for all the physical things that I would need to take to survive 40 days in a desert - shelter, equipment, etc

Bible - the Word of God, essential for any journey

Journal and pen - to write down what God says to me during this time in the desert

Cross - to remind myself that the cross is at the end of the Lenten journey

Beads - peace, joy, hope - to remind myself that on the other side of Lent is Easter day and the peace, joy and hope of resurrection life

Lamb - this lamb was given to us at church and symbolises those we are praying for who have not yet met Jesus

Candle - the lighted candle symbolises the Holy Spirit, both in illuminating my spiritual journey but also in providing the spiritual gifts needed on this journey called life.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was an interesting assignment. I had a hard time getting beyond the obvious "right" answers--my Bible, a picture of my kids, etc. I'm still not sure that in the end I settled on the seven items I would take with me on an actual journey into the desert. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Anonymous said...

Hard assignment:
My Bible
a big water bottle
a tent
a sleeping bag
my mobile phone
some toilet paper!
a change of clothes.

Anonymous said...

Yep I found this hard too - a mix of practical and spiritual. I added a picture of my little girl later as I felt bad leaving her out.

I had to take my bible when I read the bit in the 40days about Jesus recalling scripture he knew by heart. Maybe I would have time for memorisation in the desert. Probably I'd spend most of my time anxiously looking for water. I put my glass out in the heavy rain last week and there was hardly anything in it by the end of the day. Maybe things are dryer than I thought.

Anonymous said...

hey - theres my hat . . .